HHHS - Asking Questions to improve our community health
Host contact: Rosebush, Paul
Location of Document
1. How does living in Haliburton County influence your likelihood to suffer from a chronic health disease or condition?
2. How does the rural and remote context influence accessibility and utilization of health care services in Haliburton County?
3. How important is the development and implementation of health care technology to rural communities in Haliburton County?
4. What are the implications of the aging population on rural and remote health care resource sin Haliburton County?
5. How can supportive housing programs play a better role in supporting rural seniors' desire for 'aging at home' in Haliburton County?
6. What are the major policy issues relating to rural health in Haliburton and what are the implications of Ontario's new rural and northern health care panel?
7. What is the case 'for' or 'against' closing Emergency Rooms in rural communities and replacing them with Urgent Care Centres? The recommendations from each report are included in the following summary of recommendations. The summary is followed by each report as they were submitted by the students.
The purpose of the group project was to develop and demonstrate skills in writing and presenting community-based research that would address particular rural health questions. The final reports feature three-parts: (1) A comprehensive review of academic literature relating to the social determinants of health, and how these issues relate to health in rural/remote areas. (2) The Haliburton context: A community profile for Haliburton County based on available secondary data relating to the questions. (3) Future Research Opportunities: A research proposal to fill gaps in exiting knowledge about the theme in Haliburton County.